Saturday, November 29, 2014

We Have Lots to be Thankful For

FOOD SIGN UP  I'm going to have Nikki add a few more days on the schedule now that it doesn't seem so far out.  Thank you again to everyone that has brought food or has signed up.  This is a huge blessing to us. 

I just realized it has been almost 2 weeks since my last update.  It has been a very long and busy couple of weeks for us.  I think this time of year gets long and busy for everyone though.

In my last post I mentioned Jonathan did way better at home this time.  And in the initial 4 days that were a major struggle before, he did do much better.  But then he got much worse!  According to the Oncologist, Chemotherapy is cumulative.  So each time is going to get harder and longer.  Awesome!  So after this initial 4 days, he started to improve some.  Then he slowly took a turn for the worse.  Instead of having constant nausea, it came in waves.  I couldn't anticipate it so it was hard to medicate.  Just randomly he would get the sweats and the vomiting would start.  Then as usual his sinuses became super congested.  He began to feel like he was getting an ear infection, and sinus infection.  And the worse part was the cough.  He started to get a nasal drip that caused this constant cough.  So no matter what we tried for the cough, it didn't work.  He was up all night coughing for over a week.  Then when you add bloody noses from neutropenia, one morning our bed looked like a murder had taken place.  He also had some pretty severe mouth sores which made eating a huge struggle again.  We spent one evening in the urgent care running tests etc. confirming there was no actual infection.  But on the bright side, Jude discovered that hospital beds make great truck tunnels! 

Slowly Jonathan began to feel better.  By Tuesday before Thanksgiving he was starting to feel almost normal again.  I decided to put him on the scale... It's official Jonathan now weighs less than I do!  I feel like I can not even put into words how horrible chemotherapy is on someone.  Each time that week is behind us, I feel this weight lift off my chest and I can begin to breathe again... Until the next round. 

I don't want to spend much time on all the struggles we are facing, I think by now everyone knows.  This week I've really tried to focus on all the things our family has to be grateful for. 

We got to be together with extended family for Thanksgiving.


We had some of our best friends welcome their first child into the world yesterday.  Gina and Stu we are so excited for you to experience the amazing joy of parenthood.  And thank you for skyping with us so we could meet Ms. Daphny.  We had a friend share her pregnancy with us this week, and like 5 more close friend that are also expecting.  With all of that said, I've really been thinking about how thankful I am for God's path for our life.  Who gets married at 19?  We were crazy... Or at least we were told that!  If we had waited just 2 more years, and did the more socially accepted thing for marriage and kids, we probably wouldn't have Jude.  Or I would be going through all of this pregnant.  I can't even imagine!  I now understand God's plan for why we met so young.  Although it wasn't always an easy path, I now could not be more thankful for it.

This may be funny, but I'm so serious when I say, I'm so thankful for hospital urinals!  (The little jugs that men can pee into)  I have no idea how Jonathan and I would have gotten through the last few weeks... He couldn't walk to the bathroom people!  And when he absolutely had to, it was a huge chore.

For as many bad things we see on the news each day about horrible things people are doing, I'm here to tell you that most people are good.  Our family are members at the Spokane Athletic Club.  Typically you say hi to people at the gym and go about your business.  We have had "strangers" quickly become friends.  People that hardly know us sign up to bring us dinner on hospital nights.  We got an invite to the Gonzaga basketball game. (Thank you Schrock Family)  I frequently have cards or small gifts left for me at the front desk.  I've been contacted by quite a few old friends from high school, just to volunteer in any way they can help.  (I haven't talked to some of these people in 10 years!)  Women from church leave me devotionals and new books, and I know so many of my sisters in Christ are praying for us still.  I had this HUGE fear that we would have lots of people offer to help in the beginning of this struggle, and thought quickly people would forget about us.  That has yet to happen!  I am so thankful to so many people for what you are doing for our family.

 
 

 Jonathan is super thankful that the pain in his leg is finally gone!  That's right, he is just about pain free.  It has been months, like since April, that he has not had pain in his leg.  When he does physical therapy it hurts a bit, but for the most part, his leg is on the mend.

I'm thankful for a young man by the name of Tucker Rudy.  Almost Every Wednesday for the last 2-3 months, when Tucker is out of school and Jude wakes up from his nap, Tucker comes and gets the boys.  He takes them to do some fun activity, brings them to tennis practice, often dinner, and then comes home and wrestles around on the floor with them.  One of Jonathan's hardest struggles with cancer has been everything he can't do with his boys anymore.  Tucker has been this huge blessing as a wonderful male role model in their life right now.  No one will or can replace Jonathan, but he has been a great substitute until Jonathan is back on his feet.  And honestly, what 21 year old kid comes and does that voluntarily and not because he is being paid?  Tuck you will never know how much that means to Jonathan, and the boys.

I have so many things that I could list off about being thankful for right now.  I just think it has been a great week to focus on all the good.

Jonathan checks back into the hospital on Tuesday December 2nd.  We will be in and out of the hospital for 3 weeks in a row of treatments.

No comments:

Post a Comment