Monday, September 8, 2014

Thank You, from the bottom of our hearts!


I thought this week since we had so much happen, I would write two separate blog updates.  My first blog for this week is about the amazing kindness and generosity of people.  This week was a huge testimony to me about how truly kind so many people are down to the core of their being.
Over a month ago, Jonathan’s cousin Mary Lindsey was so upset she didn’t live in Spokane and was desperate to help us.  So she began to plan a car wash to raise money… I know she heard the critics, “Car washes don’t really raise much money” or something of the sorts.  Even I was a little nervous to be honest… I knew how much time was being invested by her.  But she was undeterred!   Because in her heart she knew…It isn’t always about money, It is often about the gesture. 
Shortly after the planning began and the date was set, the car wash became a car wash & bake sale that would be at the C&V Auto in Moses Lake.  The location is even a bit sentimental as C&V stands for Childress & Van Keulen.  This was so kind as a third generation Childress jumped at the chance to support his friend the third generation Van Keulen.  Boys I know your grandpas would be and are proud as they were such close friends that to this day, that friendship still stands strong.  Next, Jonathan’s step dad jumped in and donated a bunch of honey.  So it was a car wash, bake sale, honey sale.  Then Mary was contacted by the Bikers for Christ group who wanted to join the efforts with a BBQ.  Now that I think about it, there was even a lady there that brought a massage chair and was doing by donation massages.  Mary was working on no ordinary car wash, and I cannot tell you the lengths she went through to spread the word. 
Here are a few pictures from the day:


















This was like no car wash you have ever seen before!  We were washing 2 to 4 cars at a time, and in a 6 hour shift, there was maybe 1 break… which happened to be right around the lunch hour.  Perfect time for a Hot dog!  I wish we would have counted how many cars went through the line.  It was incredible.  But what was even more incredible were the people that were there to help.  We had family & friends drop everything and drive from Seattle, the tri cities, Spokane, and Olympia.  There was a large group of people from Jonathan’s mom’s class reunion who spent the entire day washing cars.  These people don’t even know Jonathan or myself, and if I could only tell you how hard they were working.
Mary I cannot tell you how grateful I am that you were not deterred.  What started out to you as a loving gesture became something far more than anyone could have imagined.
I keep trying to figure out how to thank all of these people that came and donated and to the people that worked their butts off for Jonathan.  I feel like just saying “thank you” is nowhere near enough.  The gratitude that we have and the love that we are feeling is indescribable.  So Please just know what you did means so much to our family.
I will start working today on an update for Jonathan... check back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment